Hi there Coffee Cups and Crayons readers! It’s Danae from Recipe Runner! I’m so excited to be back here again sharing another delicious recipe with you! This month instead of something sweet like the Lemon Yogurt Cake I made last month, I’m sharing a light and super easy to make lunch or dinner recipe, Chicken, Bacon, Ranch Lettuce Cups!
With summer drawing near it’s time to start thinking about swimsuit season, trips to the beach, and spending as much time as possible outdoors. Of course with all the outdoor fun we need to make sure that we are feeling comfortable with our bodies and that last year’s shorts and sundresses are all fitting properly. If you’re like me you may have put on a few extra winter pounds, because come on! We need them to keep ourselves warm! But now that the warmth has returned it’s time to get serious and shed that protective layer of winter weight.
Things I do that help me get back in shape are add more intense workouts into my running, go for an afternoon walk or hike several times a week, bike ride with my husband after he gets off of work, and trade in those heavy carb filled casseroles for lighter and fresher dinners.
These Chicken, Bacon, Ranch Lettuce Cups are an ideal meal if you are trying to cut back on your carbs. Being a runner I obviously need carbs to fuel my workouts, but on days where I have easier runs I try to cut back and find alternatives to bread, rice, and pasta. Lettuce cups are a great alternative to bread for this chicken salad and they look pretty darn cute too! Unlike most chicken salad this one is lightened up by using mostly plain non-fat Greek yogurt with just a little bit of light mayo. To give it that ranch dressing flavor without all the fat I used buttermilk, green onions, and fresh dill. While the bacon isn’t the healthiest ingredient, there are only a few pieces in the whole dish and boy does it add a nice smoky flavor!
These lettuce cups are a great way to use up leftover chicken you may have in your fridge from the night before, making this a super easy weeknight meal. So let’s get our bodies back into tip top summer shape and start by making these Chicken, Bacon, Ranch Lettuce Cups for dinner tonight!
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast, diced
- 3-4 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low fat buttermilk
- 1 ½ tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Bibb/butter lettuce leaves for serving
- In a small bowl whisk together the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, dill, salt, and pepper.
- In a large bowl add in the diced chicken, bacon, and sliced green onions.
- Pour the dressing in with the chicken mixture and fold together until everything is coated.
- Separate the lettuce leaves, wash, and dry them.
- Spoon some of the chicken mixture into each lettuce leaf.
- Serve immediately.