Do you know how to play Spoons? It’s so much fun!
I remember playing with my family during the summer when I was younger so it was one of the games I was excited about introducing our children to this summer as part of our “Old School” Bucket List!
It’s a fun family card game that is probably best for ages 5 and up, but our 3 1/2 year old was able to play with us as long as we slowed the pace down.
How to Play Spoons:
1. Gather a deck of cards and a bunch of spoons. You’ll need one less spoon than the number of players.
2. Take a complete set (all 4) of the same rank of cards for each of the players. For example, for the 5 of us we use all of the 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, and 6s.
3. Have all the players sit in a circle with the spoons in the middle.
4. Shuffle and deal 4 cards to each player. The players can look at their cards, but not show anyone else.
5. During the game each player passes one card to the player to their left, so cards are constantly being passed in a circle at the same time. You can only ever see 4 cards at once so you have to make sure you pass your card before picking up the next one.
6. The goal of the game is to collect 4 of a kind.
7. Once you have 4 of a kind you can grab a spoon from the pile. Once one spoon is taken everyone else takes one too.
8. Whoever doesn’t get a spoon is out and the play continues with one less spoon until there is one winner.
Playing groups games like card games has so many benefits for kids. It’s a time to have fun and bond as family and a great way to learn life lessons such as sharing and being a good winner and loser. Card games also help kids practice math skills and are a fun way to sneak in a little learning!
Catch up on the rest of our “Old School” Summer Bucket List activities! I’ve been adding the links to all the ones we’ve done to the bucket list, but some of the most popular have been How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag, Tin Can Lanterns, and Pool Party Games: Marco Polo.