Preschoolers and toddlers love ABC activities that involve play! Traditional letter cards often contain animal pictures that add to the fun. Artist and graphic designer, Julie Rustad, took ABC letter cards to a new level when she became a mom, she painted a series of animals that he son could actually see where he lived in Arizona!
I have know Julie for years and became obsessed with her Desert Dwellers series when she first announced it, in fact I was her very first customer! We not only love doing ABC activities with her letter cards we also enjoy learning the information and facts about the desert animals so I am so excited she is here today!
- I’m Julie and I’m so excited to be here today to share the fun ABC activities you can do with my Desert Dwellers animal flash cards! I had so much fun creating each card and love to see preschool and toddler kids across the country playing and learning with my alphabet cards. There are tons of ABC activities that can be done with the cards and I’ve collected some of our favorites to share with you today.
- A is for Activities!
- Use the cards to read stories and facts about each animal. Either you or your child(ren) can make up a story about that animal or a group of animals.
- Hand each child a card and have them act like the animal on it. Children can give clues and facts about the animal to try and get others to guess which animal it is.
- Put up an animal of the week and have additional activities related to that animal.
- Match each card to an object that starts with that letter.
- Choose a card and give clues and facts about the animal for others to guess which animal it is.
- Group animals by how they move, their color, if they have fur or feathers, etc.
- Compare sizes of a couple animals. Measure the length of the animal outside and mark with sidewalk chalk. Compare animal lengths and your length.
- Trace the letters by placing tissue paper over the cards.
- Work together to arrange the cards in alphabetical order.
Places to Play with the Desert Dwellers ABC Cards:
- Doctor’s office
U is for Unicorn? – History of the Desert Dweller Flash Cards
When my son was one, we really got into learning about the A, B, Cs. Like any Mom, I bought books and flash cards. While we were playing with them I realized that most of the animals weren’t relevant to our area or don’t event exist. For example, U is for Unicorn? I suppose they exist in Gabba Land, but not in Arizona!
This shortcoming presented itself as an exciting opportunity for me to create artistic flash cards of purely southwest animals from A-Z. I channeled my fine art, graphic design, and business talents to create the Desert Dweller Flash Cards. I painted each animal with bright acrylic paints on canvas, starting with A and finished with Z. I posted many of them on my Julie Originals blog as I was working on them. They include winged whimsical creatures like Anna’s Hummingbird, to slithery Diamondback snakes, to the smelly, but iconic Javelina.
Once I finished painting the original artwork, I designed 4×6 cards with the painted animal and letter on the front and facts & stories about the animal on the back.
I loved designing the packaging for them too. They come in a handy little box that sits nicely on any bookshelf or fits into a diaper bag. I wanted to make sure that the cards always had a home. Don’t you just love being able to put your kiddos toys back into the spot they belong?
Desert Dweller Flash Cards are available for $20.00 with free shipping at www.JulieOriginals.com.
what awesome cards. thanks so much for sharing:-) Love the games and since letters are something I am working on with the boys this has given me a few ideas!
Megan Sheakoski says
I know! They are gorgeous and she shared such fun activities! Thanks Jaime!