Need a break?
What about your kids?
These days we could all use some extra peace and relaxation!
Sensory play is great for engaging kids, but adding lavender to a rice bin makes it even better. The soothing scent and textures can help to calm and reset your child after a long day.
Calming Lavender Sensory Play Bin
Lavender Sensory Rice Supplies:
- About 2 pounds of uncooked, dry rice
- ½ cup dried lavender flowers
- Gallon sized zip closing bag
- Tray or bin to play in
- Lavender essential oil that is kid safe
- 1-4 tablespoons of a non toxic paint or liquid water colors
Tools for lavender sensory play:
- Any kind of baking pans that will easily fit in little hands
- Measuring cups, spoons, whisk… there are endless options here so go with things you already have on hand
How to Color Rice for Sensory Play
- To color the rice, add the rice to a clean zip closing gallon sized bag.
- Add the paint or liquid watercolor.
- Seal the bag and shake the rice and the paint in the bag until the color until all of the rice are colored.
- Add more color and repeat if desired.
- Lay the rice flat on a cookie sheet to dry, about 20 minutes
Lavender Sensory Play
Once your rice is dry gather all your supplies and set up the sensory bin! Add the lavender flowers and lavender oil to the rice as soon as the rice is completely dry and dump into your bin or tray. Choose some baking “tools” for your child to play with and set them in or next to the bin.
Kids love this type of open-ended sensory play. It’s a chance to play freely and feel the materials in their hands while exploring the endless possibilities. Once kids are used to sensory play all you need to do it set out the materials for them to explore and play with. For kids newer to sensory bins you may have to sit and play with them at first or until it catches their attention. Bake lavender cakes and play with the rice with your fingers and they are sure to join in.
The sensory play doesn’t have to stop here!
There are so many sensory play recipes kids enjoy. Try some of these with your kids next! All these play recipes can be stored in a resealable plastic bag to play with again another time.