Happy National Play Dough Day! Yep. It’s totally a real thing. And we’re celebrating with a brand new play dough recipe–edible pumpkin pie play dough!
We love play dough and we love science experiments so we experimented with coming up with a pumpkin pie play dough that was totally edible and not just non-toxic. After some testing we came up with one that worked!
Edible Pumpkin Pie Play Dough Recipe
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin flavored coffee creamer (the liquid kind)
- 2 cups of powdered sugar, divided
- food coloring
- 2 tablespoons of oil (vegetable or olive oil both work)
This fall play dough recipe was totally inspired by all of the fall yumminess in the stores–everything is apple and pumpkin right now and I am loving it!
When I saw pumpkin coffee creamer I immediately thought edible play dough. What? You didn’t? It was a little trickier than I had thought to work out though.
We began by adding 2 tablespoons of the pumpkin flavored coffee creamer to the bowl and slowly mixed 1 cup of powdered sugar into it. We were pleasantly surprised to see it basically turn into frosting. We added the 2nd cup of powdered sugar and kept mixing until it became dough-like. It is helpful to use a stand mixer if you have one.
Once it started to form a crumbly dough we added the oil. It made it nice and shiny and helped to soften it.
Then it was time to play and taste!
We all tasted it, including me, and liked and disliked it to varying degrees. My preschooler and I thought it was way too sweet and had no desire to try more than a bite. My first grader loved the sugar rush, but even he had no desire for more than a small taste.
We found some wooden baking tools and small pie pans and they had lots of fun baking and serving their pumpkin pie.
The dough is a lot more crumbly than a traditional play dough and won’t last very long. We kept ours in the refrigerator overnight and it was fine. You can always add a little more oil to soften it if you need to.
More Play Dough Recipe and Activities
We’re not the only ones who are playing with play dough today!
- Fall Play Dough Fun from Craftulate
- Fine Motor Play Dough Activities from What Do We Do All Day?
- How to Make Crayon Play Dough from Sugar Aunts
- Beach Themed Microwave Play Dough from Teach Me Mommy
- Gingerbread Play Dough from FSPDT
- Fall Play Dough Mats from This Reading Mama
- No Cool Natural Cinnamon Play Dough from Natural Beach Living
- Play Dough Activities All Year Long from Little Bins for Little Hands
- Gingerbread Play Dough from The Pleasantest Thing
- Celebrate Play Dough from Mama Smiles
- Fall Play Dough Mats from Life Over C’s