Do your kids love to solve problems? Mine do! Give them a mission and they can’t wait to figure out how to complete it. Challenge you kids to get the bugs out of this simple sensory bin and see how fast they rise to the challenge. It’s a great way to keep them engaged and learning, especially this time of year when they start to see bugs everywhere.
Bug Sensory Bin Supplies
- small plastic bin
- 2-3 bags of dry black beans
- small plastic bugs
- kid friendly plastic tweezers
How to Make the Bugs Sensory Bin
This one is so easy to set up!
- Begin by dumping the bags of dry black beans into your bin. Add enough beans until the bin is at least halfway full.
- Hide the plastic bugs in the beans for your child to remove with the tweezers. Depending on your child’s dexterity and attention span you can set them all on top of the beans or hide them underneath the beans for him or her to dig out.
- Demonstrate how to use the tweezers to pick up the bugs and let your child give it a try.
- Give him or her the quiet bin and let them work to get the bugs out.
- Once all the bugs have been taken out he or she can use the tweezers to put them back in and start all over again!
Extend the learning and the fun by having the kids sort the bugs! After kids get the bugs out of the beans they can sort them into groups by size, color or number of legs–there’s so many ways to play with this bugs sensory bin!
Keep the buggy fun going with 20 more bug themed activities!
LEFT TO RIGHT:
Ladybug Playdoh Math Counting Mats // Fun with Mama
Get the Bugs Out Sensory Bin // Coffee Cups and Crayons
Butterfly Alphabet Puzzles // Modern Preschool
Butterfly World Play Dough Kit // Mama. Papa. Bubba.
Bug Addition Cards // The Kindergarten Connection
Caterpillar Word Family Activity // Mom Inspired Life
Bug Race Math Game // The STEM Laboratory
Ant Life Cycle: First, Next, Then // Liz’s Early Learning Spot
Collecting Bugs Addition Game for Preschoolers // Stay at Home Educator
Butterfly I Spy Game // Pleasantest Thing
3D Ladybug Counting Game // M is for Monster
DIY Clay Minibeast Tic Tac Toe // Adventures of Adam
Butterfly Life Cycle Hats // Playdough to Plato
Butterfly Count and Color Sort // Powerful Mothering
Visual Closure Activities Bugs Theme // Sugar Aunts
Coffee Filter Butterfly Craft for Kids // Pre-K Pages
Spring Insects Skip Counting Puzzles // The Simplified Classroom
Ladybug Spot Counting Activity // Play & Learn Everyday
Days of the Week Caterpillar // Fairy Poppins
Butterfly Memory Game // Teach Me Mommy
(Not Shown) Toilet Paper Roll Butterfly Craft // Life Over Cs