Your family can enjoy a nutritious, sweet treat for breakfast or snack…and it tastes like dessert! Packed with fruit and whole grains, this Healthy Banana Split Bread is an easy, make-ahead recipe that freezes well and appeals to both kids and adults!
Hi, friends! I’m so glad to be visiting again from The Seasoned Mom to share another delicious, family-friendly recipe with all of you!
Do your kids love muffins and breakfast breads as much as mine do? It seems like I make a loaf of banana bread every couple of weeks because it’s my go-to solution when I have some extra, overripe bananas to use up. I love that I can bake it in muffins, mini loaves, or a standard-size loaf pan and freeze any extras for a later date. Best of all, with all of the fruit in the batter, the bread stays moist and sweet without the need for much added oil or sugar.
The idea for this twist on the classic banana bread was actually a suggestion from my 4-year-old son. Casey was snacking on a slice of my whole wheat banana bread one afternoon when he said, “wouldn’t it be funny if you made a banana SPLIT bread?” That obviously got my wheels turning…
I borrowed all of the delicious flavors and textures from the traditional Banana Split ice cream sundae and snuck them into my favorite banana bread recipe. The end result is this loaf of moist, tender, whole wheat bread that is full of bananas, cherries, chopped nuts, and miniature chocolate chips! Pair it with a dollop of Greek-style vanilla yogurt for a healthy, protein-packed creamy component!
This is a great way to get some healthy fats, protein, fruits, and whole grains into your kids’ diets in a fun and different way. After all, anything that includes a few chocolate chips is bound to be devoured quickly, right?!
- 3 or 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sliced maraschino cherries
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts
- ¼ cup miniature dark chocolate chips
- For serving: vanilla yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch by 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place mashed bananas, melted butter, and applesauce in a large bowl. Use a wooden spoon to mix together.
- Add sugar, egg, and vanilla to banana mixture. Stir until well blended.
- Sprinkle baking soda and salt over mixture and stir until well blended.
- Add whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour last, stirring just until combined. Be careful not to over-mix or your bread will be tough.
- Fold in the cherries, peanuts, and chocolate chips until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 35-55 minutes, or until brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Be careful not to over-bake your loaf, so check it early on. Mine usually only takes about 45 minutes to cook.
- Cool on a wire rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.
If you’re looking for even more delicious baked goods, give these a try: