Playing with shapes again and again is how preschoolers learn identify and create them.
This free learning shapes printable pack is jam packed (pun intended) full of ways for kids to play and learn with shapes.
You can use the pages to play with shapes, create a quiet book, make a hands on busy bag, and even move and learn with gross motor games!
Who knew one free printable pack could be so much fun?
This 14 page printable pack includes play dough mats, memory and I Spy games, shape pattern work and so much more. All you need to do is print and get ready to play with shapes!
Make practicing shapes hands on and fun with this free printable Learning Shapes Pack!
Learning Shapes Printable Pack
There are so many ways to play and learn with these learning shapes printables!
You can laminate some of the pages and turn them into a quiet book or reusable busy bag. You can play gross motor shape games. You can use the play dough mats for play dough practice, but also to sort objects into different shapes. The flash cards can become game cards or used for hide and seek. The memory game is even perfect to take with you on the go to play at a restaurant or appointment.
The best part is once you prep the learning shapes printable pack you are ready to play in all these different ways and more!
Here’s what you need:
- learning shapes printable pack (download link below)
- crayons or markers
- play dough
Optional supplies to create a learning shapes quiet book:
- thin binder or 3 prong folder
- page protectors
- white card stock
- clear contact paper
- dry erase marker or crayon
- pencil pouches with 3 holes or reusable plastic or cloth bags
- file folder
- velcro dots
- foam shapes or stickers
- wikki sticks
- small cloth or dry erase marker eraser
- laminator (optional)
If you would like to create a busy bag instead of a quiet book you totally can!
You will just need a large plastic reusable bag or bin instead of the binder and pencil pouches. You may also want to consider laminating all of the parts of the learning shapes printable pack instead of using any page protectors.
Learning Shapes Quiet Book or Busy Bag
You don’t need to create a quiet book to play with this learning shapes printable pack! This pack is meant to be versatile. You don’t even have to print it all at once–just do what will work best for your kids.
If you’re like me though and want to prep it all at once, here’s what you do.
- Download and print the learning shapes printable packet on white paper or card stock (link below)
- Cut out the memory cards and set aside
- Print 2 sets of shapes flash cards and cut one set and leave the other pages as a full sheet
- Decide if you want the play dough mats to be full page with two shapes on them or just one shape per mat
- Cut out the play dough mats if desired
- Laminate all of the pieces if possible
- If not laminating stick the large pages in page protectors and cover the smaller cards with contact paper
- Gather supplies like play dough, dry erase marker and small cloth
- Place everything in a large plastic reusable bag or bin for storage
How to create a Learning Shapes Quiet Book:
If you’d like to create a learning shapes quiet book for your preschoolers to use on the go it’s simple to do!
- Download and print the learning shapes packet on white card stock
- Cut out both sets of shapes memory cards and laminate* (if you do not want to create a memory game board stick in a pouch and go to step 8)
- Place the fuzzy side of a velcro dot in the middle of each shape
- Stick the scratchy side of the velcro dots onto the inside of both sides of the file folder leaving room for both sets of cards to fit
- Punch 3 holes in the file folder and place in the binder
- Place memory game pieces in a small reusable bag and staple to the front of the file folder
- Cut out one set of shapes flash cards and laminate
- Stick in a pencil pouch with mini play doughs, wikki stix, dry erase marker, cloth and foam shapes
- Place the rest of the pages in page protectors and add to the binder
*Laminate the pieces with a traditional laminator or by covering with clear contact paper.
Playing with the Learning Shapes Printable Pack
Once your supplies are prepped show your child how to play with the learning shapes printable pack!
- Teach them how to play the shapes memory card game, either alone or with a friend.
- Demonstrate how to use the dry erase marker to match the shapes or complete the I Spy page.
- Show them how they can use the wikki stix or foam shapes to complete the pattern card.
- Model how to use the play dough to practice shapes on the play dough mats.
Gross Motor Shape Learning for Preschoolers
The shape learning printable pack doesn’t just have to be for quiet time! There are many other ways you can move and learn with these shape cards.
Use the shapes flash cards page to go on a shape walk around your house or neighborhood and place tally marks in each box of how many shapes you can find.
Cut out and tape the play dough mats to different parts of a room in your house. Call our a shape or choose one from the memory match set and have the kids run to each shape that is chosen.
Or try a gross motor shape sort! Place the large shape cards (the play dough mats) on the floor and have your child sort their toys by shape. They can create a pile of shapes on top of or next to each card.
Don’t stop there!
Ask your kids for ideas, too. Kids usually have even better ideas than adults do!
Ready to play?
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE PRINTABLES HERE: Learning Shapes Printable Pack