I created this pancake number match after seeing the addition pancakes from I Can Teach My Child. I wanted to make something similar for my son. Working on number words was the perfect way to use pancakes in a learning activity for us.
Pancake Number Match
This activity works on number recognition and reading number words.
- 20 paper circles (We used a circle punch to make this quick.)
- a pen or other writing utensil
- spatula (We used toy spatulas from our play kitchen.)
Write the numbers 1-10 on 10 paper circles. On the back of each circle, write the corresponding number word. Repeat this for the other 10 paper circles.
Line up the number words and invite your child to play the matching game.
Choose a pancake and read the number word. Flip over the number word to see the number on the back. One is the number 1.
Find the matching number word. Can you find the other number one? Flip over number words until the correct number is found.
My son, Aiden, wanted to take turns with me. He would find a match and then I would. I spoke my thoughts and actions aloud as we played. Here is the number eight. Where is the other eight? It ends with the letter t… Here it is. Let’s flip over the pancake and see if I’m right...
We played this game several times. Aiden wanted to write on his own pancakes. He picked a few number words and wrote them on paper circles (that he punched out). He flipped over the circles and wrote the number on the back. He added these pancakes to the game and we played again.
I love it when learning and play go together so nicely, don’t you?
More Math and Pretend Play Combinations
- Barnyard Math Games – Practice counting, number recognition, addition, subtraction, and more with these fun games that use farm animal toys.
- Super Hero Math Games: Catch a Villain – Stop villains from taking gold coins and help the super hero add up the numbers on the gold coins.
- Penguin Counting Math Game – Practice math skills with this felt board penguin game. So cool!