Vowel sounds are hard to practice, especially the A, E, and I. To make the phonics practice fun we created a fun vowel sounds practice game with cups!
Phonics Practice Game
- 3 plastic cups
- permanent marker
- pom pom or gem or something similar
The vowel sounds can be harder to remember and reproduce correctly than the consonant sounds. To get in some extra practice I wrote 3 of the vowels on the cups and set up a simple phonics game.
The kids took turns hiding the gem under a cup and then switching the cups around like the old shell game. The other child then guessed which cup it was under by saying the vowel sound they thought it would be under.
Moving and learning while practicing vowel sounds is a great way for kids to get them entrenched in their memories!
The other Move and Learn co-hosts were busy putting together Move and Learn Activities for kids this week too, make sure to check them out!
Other Ways to Move & Learn this week:
- Leaf Name Game from The Pleasantest Thing
- 10 Active Ways to Learn the Alphabet from Hands on : as we grow
- Halloween Themed Movement Activities from Toddler Approved
- Check out all our Move & Learn activities
- Lots of ideas on our Pinterest board!
Love this idea! I’m trying it today with my grandsons!
So smart…I love this!
Megan Sheakoski says
Thanks Devany!!!! And I’m off to go pin the turkey geoboard now that it’s up! So awesome!