My kids learn best when they are active. Getting up and moving motivates kids to practice new skills and helps them to better retain the information. Plus, it’s also lots of fun! Hands on : as we grow and The Pleasantest Thing and I are teaming up to bring Move and Learn! activities each week as part of a new series.
To kick things off we are sharing move and learn activities from all over the web for each age group and I am focusing on active ideas for kindergarten and primary school kids.
Big kids are asked to sit in school all day long and need activities to move and learn just as much as toddlers and preschoolers. They are also expected to memorize things such as sight words and math facts and need fun ways to practice to stay engaged.
Here are 25 ways for big kids to move and learn about reading and math!
1. Walk the Word Phonics Game from Coffee Cups and Crayons
2. Bean Bag Toss as a Sight Word Game from hands on: as we grow
3. Reading Game with Legos from The Pleasantest Thing
4. Sight Word Snowball Fight Activity for Kids! from Coffee Cups and Crayons
5. Sight Word Dive from I Can Teach My Child
6. Sight Word Ping Pong Balls from Melissa Culver’s School Daze
7. Word Family Rainfall from The Pleasantest Thing
8. Find and Rhyme Gross Motor Rhyming Game from No Time for Flashcards
9. Water Balloon Phonics from Mess for Less
10. Sight Word Smash from I Can Teach My Child
11. Sight Words Parking Lot from And Next Comes L
12. Yard Clean Up Sight Word Game from No Time for Flashcards
13. Sidewalk Chalk Spelling Hop from Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational
14. Word Family Slam from Toddler Approved
15. Practice Questioning with a Question Ball from Coffee Cups and Crayons
Math Practice Activities
1. Fire Hose Math Fact Practice Game from Coffee Cups and Crayons
2. Lego Math from The Pleasantest Thing
3. 6 Math Activities for Kids Using Math Using School Unit Blocks from hands on : as we grow
4. Frog Jump Measurement and Gross Motor Activity from Coffee Cups and Crayons
5. Add it Up! Gross Motor Addition Game from Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
6. Math Fact Flashcard Passport Game from Coffee Cups and Crayons
7. Fraction Hopscotch from Capturing Classroom Ideas
8. Water Balloon Math Activity from No Time for Flashcards
9. Stomp It! Place Value Game from Creekside Learning
10. Driveway Shuffleboard Math from Teach Mama
11. Learning about Time with Outdoor Races from Preschool Powol Packets
12. Number Splash from Coffee Cups and Crayons
Now make sure to check out this week’s other Move and Learn activities! Then join the three of us next week for even more move and learn ideas!
Move and Learn Preschool Activities from hands on: as we grow
Move and Learn Toddler Activities from The Pleasantest Thing
I think this is so true for some kids like my son! One of our teachers tailored his learning to incorporate movement and he thrived- I was glad that she recognized that some kids respond more to learning when they are doing and moving….
Megan Sheakoski says
It is amazing how much kids can learn when their brains don’t have to work so hard trying to stay still!!!
I just wanted to say THANK YOU for adding my fraction hop scotch activity to your list of move and learn games 🙂
I appreciate the shout out!!!
Have a wonderful weekend
Megan Sheakoski says
Of course!!! It’s super fun!