We all love quick and easy family-friendly dinners! My One Skillet Orange Chicken and Broccoli uses pantry staples (no weird ingredients) and comes together in just minutes, thanks to a few shortcuts. Best of all? You won’t have too many dishes to clean up afterwards!
Hi, friends! I’m so glad to be back this month from The Seasoned Mom to share another tasty recipe! In recent posts, I have offered grab-and-go breakfast ideas, after-school snack options, and sweet baked goods. That’s why I decided that it’s time to get Back To Basics with a simple dinner idea that your kids will love!
I’ve put a large emphasis on easy weeknight dinners on my blog in recent months. Since I have multiple children that returned to school (and sports teams) this fall, as well as a toddler still at home, I know first-hand how difficult it can be to get supper on the table. All parents need a few tried-and-true recipes that come together quickly, that use simple ingredients, and that the children will actually eat! That’s where this recipe comes in…
I love that the sweet, thick orange sauce coating this stir-fry encourages my little guys to finish every last bite of broccoli on their plate. The chicken and the rice are always safe bets!
I use microwaveable frozen broccoli for this dish, which I can steam in the bag and then just toss in the skillet at the very end. That way I know that my broccoli is cooked perfectly every time, and I don’t have to spend any additional effort to cut, wash, and steam the florets myself.
My rice cooker is also great for whipping up a batch of rice, but I’ve been known to reach for the microwaveable cups or pouches of rice in a pinch, too. In my opinion, it’s far better to use a few shortcuts to get homemade meals on the table fast instead of cruising through the drive-thru for some french fries and burgers (which is very tempting, believe me)! Plus, this meal tastes better and fresher than restaurant take-out!
I hope that your children gobble up their veggies and protein just as quickly as mine did when you serve this meal. It has become a regular dinner in our house because it makes all of us very happy!
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen steamable broccoli florets
- Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Toss chicken in skillet until browned and cooked through, stirring frequently (about 5 minutes).
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add soy sauce, orange juice, brown sugar, salt, and cornstarch to the skillet. Whisk until completely combined.
- Cook sauce over medium-high heat until it boils and thickens, whisking the whole time (about 3-5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli in microwave just until crisp-tender (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add broccoli and chicken to the skillet and toss to coat with sauce.
- Serve over rice or quinoa, if desired.
Looking for other great weeknight dinner options? Try these favorites: