Doing 24 random acts of Christmas kindness is the best way to count down to Christmas!
Even in 2020.
Yes, things may look a little different.
Yes, some of the more fun ideas may have to wait until another time.
But there are still so many ways you can spread a kindness in your community this year!
Making Acts of Kindness Safe for 2020
So many things have had to be adapted or changed this year and RACKs are no different. If you have participated with us in the past you may have already noticed that there are some favorites missing from this year’s calendar. There’s no leave change on a vending machine or popcorn surprise, among others, this year.
But that doesn’t mean we have to be quarantined from kindness.
There are many, many RACKs we can still do this year!
Random Acts of Christmas Kindness for 2020
- Donate toys to your favorite charity.
- Tell silly jokes to make someone laugh.
- Make a homemade gift.
- Donate food to your local food pantry.
- Make a card for a soldier.
- Pick up litter.
- Make a thank you sign for your delivery drivers.
- Donate socks to a homeless shelter.
- Call a faraway friend or relative to say hello.
- Take supplies to the animal shelter.
- Do a chore for someone in your family.
- Candy cane bomb a parking lot* or send a candy cane gram.
- Leave a kindness rock in your neighborhood.
- Mail a Christmas card to a local nursing home.
- Pay for a stranger’s coffee.
- Teach someone something new.
- Leave a happy note for someone to find.
- Give a treat to a community helper.
- Leave a treat for your mail carrier.
- Smile at everyone you see today.
- Bring cookies to a neighbor.
- Do a secret act of kindness for someone.
- Give a compliment to a friend.
- Feed the birds.
*We have updated the Candy Cane Bombing post for 2020 to include new ideas for spreading cheer with candy canes that don’t involve cars in parking lots.
Tips for Doing Acts of Kindness in 2020
Before you start RACKing there are some things you should think through.
Each state, country, and town has different restrictions and these situations may be changing from week to week or even day to day. Each family also has their own personal needs to take into account. You may live in an area where you feel comfortable going to stores or you may live in an area where you have been buying everything online for months.
Either way, we are here to help you figure out a way to do random acts of Christmas kindness this year!
How to Spread Kindness in 2020
- Download and print the 2020 RACK calendar.
- Review the calendar and note any that you cannot do this year.
- Come up with alternative RACKs you can do instead. (We will brainstorm in the 24 RACKs Facebook group with you!)
- Make a list of any supplies you need and plan ahead to have them available.
- Focus on flexibility. Expect that changes may need to be made as we go through the month.
Most of all don’t stress.
This is definitely not the year to worry about “doing enough”!
Doing an act of kindness each day is the goal. Doing different or fancy acts of kindness isn’t. Kids love to repeat activities they had fun with. Making cards or telling jokes two days in a row is not just perfectly fine, it’s awesome!
Don’t let thoughts of perfection get in the way of connection this holiday season.
Random Acts of Kindness Resources
Ready to get started?
Here are some Christmas kindness resources:
- 24 Random Acts of Christmas Kindness Facebook group
- Random Acts of Christmas Kindness Advent Calendar
- Random Act of Christmas Kindness: Candy Cane Bomb a Parking Lot!
Download your free printable calendar: 2020 RACK and December calendar
Want to make life even easier?
We also have a RACK pack printable kit you can purchase!
- An EDITABLE kindness calendar. Yes, you can put in whatever acts of kindness YOU want to do on whatever day YOU want!
- EDITABLE Random Acts of Christmas Kindness cards–personalize the message to fit your needs!
- A cut and paste kindness calendar. Cut out and glue on each act of kindness as you do them in any order you want.
- Kindness Countdowns where kids can keep track of the acts of kindness they’ve done.
- Subscription to the 12 Days of Christmas Kindness email series.
- Printable coordinating RACK cards, hug coupons and happy notes.
- Kindness completion certificates for your kids or class.